Friday, May 10, 2013

Jack is 8 Months Old!

Jack, Jackariah, Bubba is inching towards toddlerhood and out of infant life ever so quickly.  Babies don't stay babies for long!  Jack is already trying to pull himself up, stand alone holding onto furniture and is successfully crawling backwards.  I am betting that next month, he will be quite mobile.  Therefore, the crib is no longer sidecarred and the front rail is up (still in our room) so that he can't crawl out onto the floor or our bed.  He still doesn't have any teeth, though, so we still have a gummy, adorable baby smile that gets flashed ALL the time to ANYONE that talks to him.  If we had a dollar for every time someone tells Trevor and I how adorable/cute/beautiful/easy going/wonderful/calm/cuter than their own kids were/should be a model etc. Jack is....we could retire.  I feel so blessed!

Jack is constantly squirming away wanting down but also wants to be held all the time.  He is in this interesting stage of wanting independence while still needing mommy (and daddy, if mommy isn't available...we are still dealing with some separation anxiety when mommy is around).  He really enjoyed Nature's Playhouse with Holly and Milo in Clawson because there was so much to do and he also enjoys swim class (and so do I since he usually sleeps well that night).  Jack loves to be active and has enjoyed his time at his first VegFest, hike, and nightly walks this month.  He is getting so smart and interactive.  He can go from sitting to laying on his belly, can crawl backwards, can shake his head when we say "no", laughs SO hard at Sofía, looks and locates Sofía when we ask "Where's the puppy?", smiles at absolutely everyone, looks at the door from the crib looking for us when we open it after naps, enjoys looking at pictures of himself and laughs at them, likes playing with the Fisher Price "Laugh and Learn Animals App", makes monkey noises all the time, hums himself to sleep, claps his feet together after peeling his socks off (which is ALL THE TIME) and wears 12 month PJs now for length. 

We are still going strong with nursing and have tried many new foods this month with Baby-Led Weaning.  He has tried: peaches, eggplant, butternut squash, veggie lo mein with tofu, parsnips, pear, green beans, apple, spinach, zucchini, strawberries, pasta, spaghetti squash, lentils, udon noodles, rice, mango, corn on the cob, dates, rhubarb, summer squash and kiwi.  His favorites are the squash family (zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, etc.) and the mango we share nightly together.  He is ALWAYS wanting to try whatever I am eating so he has also taken to my after school snack of dates dipped in almond butter.  I find these to be a great alternative to prepackaged/processed fruit snacks.  Luckily I have done a really good job of cutting back on sugar (and salt slowly) and Trev is doing an awesome job of eating healthy, so whatever we eat is usually fine for Jack to have.  One exception would be the other night when he tried some of our spicy mexican food.  The faces he made were hilarious, priceless and adorable.  Our little vegan baby eats such a variety of food.  He has tried ALL of these things for the first time this month; this is in ADDITION to what he already has been eating from the months before.  I make a homemade meal for us every night and although it takes roughly an hour from start to finish (cooking, eating and cleanup included), I think it is really important to instill the values of healthy eating in him from a young age.  He is really having fun with "helping" me cook anyway.  I will put him on the floor in the kitchen with a bowl, spoon and piece of fruit or a vegetable and he will "cook" while I cook.  After we take a walk and enjoy nature and then we get ready for bed.  I really love our nighttime together. 

On a family note, we finished our refi on our house and it is exciting to think that we could have our house paid off in 15 years.  My car is paid off and by the end of this month/beginning of next Trev's should be paid off.  Outside of our mortgage and student loans, we are debt free.  We are hoping to build up our savings more and do some reno in our house.  Trev and I are switching to a family doctor next month that is a holistic practitioner to better align ourselves with medical professionals that hold similar beliefs to us.  If we like the doctor, we will also take Jack to see her.  That's it for now.  Life is good!  No complaints! :)













No comments:

Post a Comment