During my pregnancy with Jack I gained 55 lbs (and Trevor gained a few sympathy pounds as well!). I know this is way more than the recommended 25-35 but there was no way for me to have avoided it. First, I ate a healthy vegetarian diet the entire time. Sure I splurged on a pumpkin pie blizzard or cookies here and there but I've always had a healthy palate and preferred healthy foods. At one point one of the OBs at my office (who is also a vegetarian with vegan daughters) asked how I thought I was eating. I told him "I eat oatmeal for breakfast, hummus sandwiches for lunch and whole grains and veggies for dinner; I even snacked on kale chips last night". He responded that gaining more weight was what my body must need to do. I agree. My mom gained 60 with me and I was 8lb 11oz. Jack was no small baby at 8lb 8 oz so I know he and all the other pregnancy lovelies (amniotic fluid, placenta, extra blood) took up a majority of it. I'd even venture to say my boobs took up the rest (I went from a 32D to 38E!-only 10 shirts in my pre pregnancy wardrobe fit over my chest right now).
Well here I am one month postpartum and my belly is still quite soft. I'm at 135lbs with 20lbs still to go. (35 lost so far!) I don't think I will be able to get to my pre pregnancy weight while I am breastfeeding (my goal is to do so for at least a year, maybe two). I know my body needs more fat stores in order to keep up milk production, but I would like to start being healthier.
Ever since my pregnancy cravings have gone away I have really started craving healthy foods again. Trevor and I made home made pizza the other night and it just didn't taste good. I told him I was craving kale. I know I am nuts but I've always been this way. When I was younger (like 8?) I remember my Aunt Chris bringing a strawberry and spinach salad to a potluck and LOVING it and wanting to eat that over the mayo based salads and chips that frequent potlucks. I have never liked French fries, mayo, pop, or tons of sweets so eating healthy has been easy for me. I go to The Lodge in Keego Harbor because I crave the way they steam their broccoli!
So long story made even longer, Trevor and I both wanted to lose some weight and eat healthier. I really wanted to go back to being vegan and not vegetarian-I just felt so much better. Yesterday we purchased (for $5) this week's meal plan from happyherbivore.com. I have all of her cookbooks (and love them) so why buy her meal plans? Having a baby makes meal time really hectic. Sometimes meals happen at crazy hours, get consumed way after they've been prepared or I just don't eat because I am too tired. I had been living off Trader Joe's frozen meals and carry out for at least two months (bed rest and a newborn will do that to you) and knew my sodium intake had to be sky high. The meal plans factor in leftovers for other meals so that I'm not cooking all the time, are all vegan, are fast and easy (so Trevor can make them!) and are all plant based and vegan. It makes eating healthy VERY easy. When I went grocery shopping yesterday, (which was my first time with Jack and not Trevor and I may have been super anxious about it. He slept in the Moby-thank goodness!) I loved how our cart looked. Nothing processed, no dairy and it was overflowing with produce. I was so excited to start!
This morning our first meal was an Apple Pie Smoothie and 1/2 cup of blueberries. Trevor did a great job with the smoothie and it really tasted like apple pie! The meal plan contains recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner and pre plans snacks and desserts. The only drawback is the daily caloric intake is 1,200. It's recommended that breastfeeding moms eat 1,500-1,900 calories a day to help milk production. So, I plan to add some healthy snacks (like my larabar this morning) to make sure I hit those numbers. I feel pretty confident, though, that just eating clean and healthy food will make a huge difference in my journey. I don't ever expect my body to look the same. It created, held and birthed a human. But I would like to feel less squishy for now.
Wish us luck! I hope we can stick to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations on your baby boy! Are you still using the HH meal plans? If so, how is it going?
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am not still using the meal plans that she sends every week for a couple reasons:
Delete1) I am back to work and I like to spend every second of my weekend with my baby
2) since I am nursing and had some supply issues, I prefer to eat oatmeal for breakfast each morning to help my supply
3) my husband works nights so I make a HH cookbook recipe for dinner and then the leftovers are my lunch for the next day.
I am still eating plant based meals from her cookbooks all day long, just not using the meal plans. However, if I were still home and we were both eating dinner, I would definitely be doing so.
Thanks for your detailed reply :) I think I'm going to try it out!
ReplyDelete