First, a weight update. I lost 2.5 lbs this week from our decision to eat like plant based whole foods vegans. What a slow battle I have ahead of me. I'm nervous for starting back to work in six weeks and not having any clothes to wear and having to spend a lot of money on a new wardrobe. The money I got for my birthday just got me started on nursing bras and tops-boy are those pricey! Definitely a new adjustment from being skinny with no effort for 26 years. Trev lost 6 lbs this week so we are still going to continue with veganism for now. We each had a little cheese this week just for convenience sake when we ate out at Panera. It is just difficult all around to cook because Jack likes to be held constantly and would comfort nurse all day if I let him (a pacifier really doesn't work well with him). I don't mind holding him or wearing him in the Moby but it makes doing things as simple as cooking quite difficult.
Something that has become really obvious to both Trevor and I (the type A planner that I am) is that there is no way to know what you'll want and need for a baby before they're here. It's somewhat frustrating for me because I am a minimalist at heart and neither of us like clutter. Tonight Trevor and I were saying that we just need cloth diapering items, a carrier (Moby/Boba), car seat and some zippered sleepers. Maybe the swing, too! Yet we have tons of baby things. Obviously there are little things like towels, nursing pillows and such are needed but we are shocked at how little babies require. Jack is co-sleeping with us. He will not sleep in his rock n play, bouncy, pack n play or crib no matter what and I refuse to let him cry-it-out. I was really nervous about co-sleeping at first but I don't move an inch with him next to me and I keep pillows and covers out of the way. I actually like the snuggles and think they'll be even better once I'm back to work and gone half the day. If he sleeps in his swing instead I actually miss him and have a hard time sleeping!
So here we have all of these places for him to lay and sit and he is not at all interested. He will occasionally sleep in the swing but he gets so chilly I end up just letting him nap in the Moby. I'm hopeful baby #2 enjoys these things but I won't be upset if it doesn't. I love holding my baby. Jack's crib will convert to a bigger bed when he's older so its not a lost cause but Trev and I are already toying with the idea of just getting a king sized bed instead of a crib next time! I would have never thought we'd be in this position! Luckily I never said never during pregnancy. I knew it would be a wait and see deal but its still surprising.
Also, whoever invented snaps on baby clothing is ridiculous. Zippers are where it's at. Or onesies with baby legs. Mental note for next kid: don't buy snaps.
Yesterday I tried exclusively pumping instead of breastfeeding but it was draining (pun intended lol). I wanted to try it because Jack feeds ALL THE TIME and 45 minutes to an hour each sitting. So yesterday while pumping I had to make sure I was ahead of his needs at all times, then I had spend the time sitting at the pump where I couldn't do anything (hard when you have a baby that wants to be held), wash parts and bottles and then feed him. At first he seemed much more content with the bottle but as the night went on he wanted to comfort nurse. This stressed me out because I couldn't pump if he was doing this and if he did, I wouldn't have anything to pump. Also, how would I be able to build my stash for my return to work if I had to feed him everythinv I pumped? At 8 PM I said screw it and went back to nursing. I think nursing would be faster if we didn't have to use the shield (over supply and over active let down issues) but I tried a couple times yesterday and he freaked out.
So all in all parenting is really a bunch of trial and error (says the expert here at 6 weeks). He has his own personality (that my mom says mirrors mine as a baby) and needs that I'm learning I just need to meet by going with the flow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment