Sunday, August 11, 2013

Jack is 11 Months Old!

WHAT?!  I am going to have a TODDLER in a month?!  It is crazy to think that a year ago today I was going in for my 36 week check up with Trevor in tow.  We were so excited because we were going to have an ultrasound to check his growth.  Ultrasound was perfect and then my blood pressure was high when the nurse checked it...she checked it again...and again.  She left and I told Trev "I told you, I knew this was going to happen" (I had been getting up in the middle of the night really swollen and unable to sleep).  Another nurse came in to check.  Then the doctor.  Ugh, he made SUCH a big deal out of it, had me in tears, sent me straight to L&D making it sound like I was about to deliver.  If I got to leave and didn't deliver...I would be on bed rest for the next month.  I was crying, scared...you name it.  All checked out fine.  I just had to be very careful and have Trev check my BP often and go to the doctor often to be sure I didn't get pre-eclampsia (only had Pregnancy Induced Hypertension at this point).  We made a trip to Trader Joe's to stock up, came home and Trev cleaned the house up, I got my hair cut and carpets cleaned and proceeded to sit my butt on the couch all day every day for the next month (except sneaking to work for a two weeks so not to interfere with my maternity leave).  I think about that now and how in the world I would sit my butt on the couch for a month with Jack is beyond me.  I hope whenever #2 comes we don't have that issue.  Our little soon-to-be toddler just wouldn't let his mom sit around, lol.

How big is Jack?  Soooo big (actually, no he isn't...haha)
So Jack is still a peanut.  He is wearing 9 month clothes (some 12 months).  It is hard not to buy all the clearanced clothes now in preparation for next year but after doing that last summer and all of his clothes being too big, I will just buy as we need now.  Luckily I can just throw some long-sleeved tees under his shirts and get some use out of them this fall now!  We did have his Bum Genius on the medium rise but his crawling and activity level have made it so we are going back down to the first setting.  He doesn't go for a check up until 9.13 so I won't know his height and weight until then!

Sleeping
Jack has been learning how to communicate and get around so much this month that sleep really isn't the greatest thing.  He is trying to condense 2 naps to 3, going to bed earlier (9ish) and getting up earlier (7ish) and can not seem to turn his mind off at night with all the thinking about "OMG THAT TOY" and "AHH! I WANT TO NURSE 24/7!!" and "I NEED TO PRACTICE WALKING!!" and "OW!  MY TEETH AND GUMS HURT!!".  He actually goes down much easier for Trev lately so Trev has been putting him down.  He starts in his crib and then comes into bed with us after that.  I don't mind it because I am hoping to not pump at work when I return in 11 short days and his nursing in bed with us at night will make sure he gets enough sessions in.  His naps are getting shorter and longer and between 2 and 3.  Still sleeping on his belly when in the crib.

Eating
Boy, this kid loves to nurse.  I was thinking that he would be cutting back on sessions as he got older but some days I feel like he nurses like a newborn (whatever, keeping my first post-partum period at bay and giving me a rocking metabolism).  I think part separation anxiety, part getting minor injuries toddling, part teething and part developmental leaps have made nursing a necessity still.  In terms of solids he has tried chocolate and tomatoes.  He LOVES tomatoes and eats whole ones in one sitting.  He enjoys pasta in any shape or form (asian, italian, soup, etc).  Has had a little bit of chocolate via dad's bday cake.  Really loved a new lentil loaf I made (so did we!).  Eats peas and blueberries one by one but will eat an entire tray filled with them.  He will try anything and is such a good eater!  Even green monster smoothies.  Tofu and potstickers are becoming more popular, too.  The sippy cup is not interesting right now (he doesn't even hold his own bottle).  Oh well...we will keep trying!

Development
Jack will imitate everything we do...laughs, cries, noises.  He now meows and woofs when we do or he hears an animal do it.  Even if he just sees a cat or dog he will do the appropriate noise.  He says mama a lot and we will go back and forth.  I will say, "Jack", then he will say "Mama" back and forth.  He also says dada and na (no).  And will say mama mama mama na na na when getting wipes down after dinner (which he hates and also happens to hate bibs) or when changing his diaper (and now has figured how to ninja crawl away mid poop change (UGH!).  Usually quoting his favorite book helps distract him in these instances.  "Are you a cow?" is his new favorite book so I will go through every animal to distract him...I run out often and think of crazy animals.  Haha, the things I do as a mom.  He really enjoys throwing his toys everywhere and has quite the arm...you've got to be careful!  He shrugs if he's talking and doesn't know something.  He loves making noises with his tongue.  When he plays with his car he makes a "vroom" noise.  He really enjoys reading books and will pick out books for us to read (or keep turning back to the front page over and over once a book is done).  He got the top 4 middle teeth at the same time...not fun!  He waves hi and bye to everyone, especially when out and about, and has the cheesiest little grin that shows off his teeth and what seems to be a dimple at the top of his right cheek.  He can stand up easily and walk around using the furniture just to balance.  He lets go often.  I bet next month I will be telling you he is walking!

He has mastered the fake cry and tantrum already.  They don't happen that often, he really still is the happiest baby ever.  But if he gets overtired and wants something he can't have, watch out!Gentle parenting is taking more effort now this month but we know it is worth it.  A deep breath and redirecting him work well.  No yelling or spanking here!  We are working better at not saying "no" but rather telling him what we would rather see him doing instead.  Obviously we aren't perfect and this is a skill we are learning as it is instinct to just say no...but clearly that doesn't help him learn what to do instead!  No matter how many times we ask him to get away from the toilet or Sof's water dish he still goes to it because it is fun, so redirecting works best most times.

Family
We got laminate in finally!  It was put in the kitchen/dining, front entry way, back hallway and laundry/back entry.  We love it!  Now to get tile in the bathrooms and re-carpet the rest of the house!  Trev has been doing a great job eating healthy and I think I am really going to miss making all our meals like I do in the summer instead of lots of leftovers and big batch cooking during the school year.  Trev and I have had some great date nights this month.  I am really sad to be going back to work in 11 days.  This summer went by faster than I could have EVER imagined.  Seriously.  It was so much easier to go back last year when I knew I would be off another 13 weeks.  Back to living for the weekends and nights with my little pumpkin.  Thankfully he is still with Trev during the day.  That gives me SUCH peace of mind.  Trev takes such good care of him.  I will miss the lazy mornings and late night snuggles and just not feeling like I have a million things going on.  I don't quite get how I make it work when I am working...getting everything done.  But I guess I do since I did it last school year!  I feel like I am constantly busy now.  Lucky I have a partner that helps so much.  We are a great team! :)

Well, that is all for now!  Here is my 11 month old!!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment