Friday, February 22, 2013

food before one is just for fun

So this past Wednesday we did it! We offered Jack his first solid at about 5.5 months. I planned to wait until he was 6 months but he was showing readiness signs as outlined by the Baby Led Weaning (BLW) philosophy.

OK, side track. Everyone knows I am really into nutrition and healthful/conscious food choices so it should come as no surprise that I (over?) research Jack's eating. As he started approaching 4 months I began reading about the lack of nutrients and benefits of rice cereal. It is thought that most babies start out with rice cereal because it is low allergen risk, however, if parents wait until a baby is fully ready for solids, allergic reactions are cut back greatly. Rice cereal is at best really filling carbohydrates. The issue with that is that a baby will get full then with carbs and then still want to nurse frequently to make up for lack of fat, vitamins, minerals, etc. It isn't a really balanced product.

So, we skipped rice cereal at 4 months. I ordered the Baby Led Weaning cookbook off from Amazon and took a long leisurely bath one night with a glass of wine and read up. I really liked the ideas outlined. It said to not start solids until showing signs of readiness (sitting up unassisted, loss of tongue thrust reflex, chewing while parents chew, etc) because at this point their gut is closed at less risk of allergies or issues. Remarkably, reaching out for food is not a readiness sign as babies literally reach out and put everything in their mouth at this age (very true for Jack). Cutting a tooth is a "bonus" readiness sign but not necessary (if he's anything like his mama, which he is, he won't get teeth for a while!).

Oh, and real quickly, weaning in this sense is just going from all breastmilk to some breastmilk and some food, I am not quitting breastfeeding. It is a British term.

OK, back on track! BLW also says that babies should feed themselves in manageable portions of whole foods so that they regulate their hunger. This really spoke to me. Instead of me sitting there force feeding organic purées I spent time cooking (because if I did purées, that's how I would be doing it), I can put manageable portions of fruits and veggies (and eventually grains and proteins) on his tray and let him self feed and be adventurous. I love this no pressure approach. I don't need to be worried about how much he is getting in since he is still nursing and can let him learn and eat as his development, tastes and hunger dictate. Plus, bonus points for laziness. As a working mom I love the idea of not having extra dishes/silverware to wash, making his special food, having to cart around special food for him, etc. The cookbook recipes are all enough for two adults and one baby so we will all get to eat the same meal at the same time. And they are awesome recipes with flavor, texture and variety. I'm so excited to watch him try different ethnic flavors and a variety of fruits, veggies, grains, etc. Salt and sugar are really taken out so it will help Trevor and I to eat even healthier. I also love the eating out convenience. When we go out he can just have some things off our plates and eat with us instead of having to spoon feed him food and then we eat something different afterwards.

So since Jack was showing readiness signs, the other night when we were having veggie burgers and I had some avocado on mine (the first food I wanted to introduce to him), I put some on his plate in small chunks, some mushed with a fork and some in a big chunk and he had a blast. I'm positive nothing made it in his mouth but he painted his highchair a lovely shade of green and helped fatten Sofía up (who is so happy to have another person to take food from). Maybe next week we'll try again but we are just taking this day by day and not concerning ourselves with how much he gets in since food before one is just for fun. He still has the perfect blend of fat, water, vitamins and nutrients in breastmilk.

Lastly, how are we going to raise Jack eating wise? The short answer is mostly plant based, some vegan. I feel pretty strongly that while he is younger, to not feed him meat or diary because of the research I have done. I cook plant baased vegan at home, eat plant based and some vegan outside of home and plan to follow that with Jack. Once he is old enough to make his own informed choices and if he wants meat, he can choose to eat it without judgement. I don't think anyone in my friends and family circle would make fun of either of us or go against my wishes. They know how important this is to me. Some people have asked if its fair to put my beliefs on him. I don't see how this is any different than raising a child with a certain religious or cultural viewpoint. Parents share their viewpoints with their children on everything, that is what parenting is really, no? I also think it will be awesome that he can look up to his Aunt Annie who has been a vegetarian all her life. Just last night we had an awesome discussion about animal cruelty together. She is such my mini-me! I think education here is key.

Anyway, that's Jack's eating as of now! I want to attach some videos of his first food (not eating-haha!) experience but mobile blogger won't let me!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about your experience with BLW! This is what Ty and I want to do with Vivian too! It seems our parenting approaches are very similar ;)

    ReplyDelete